Sunday, May 21, 2006

Moving

Posting has been sparse here lately, and will probably continue that way for a few weeks. After several months of preparation followed by eight months of being on the market, our house has finally sold. We dropped the price significantly but no matter what we did, we couldn't make buyers appear out of the ether.

Property taxes here are obscene. Home and flood insurance are insensible. Interest rates have been rising along with gas prices. And now, according to former Fed chief Allan Greenspan, the housing boom is over.

Sadly we will not be in the financial position that we had hoped to be. We will be in a better place and we should be able to afford an au pair, which is all important. This person will allow me to work around the restrictions of my health and be able to write full time. I will have a lot to say about that here; I haven't done so yet, and won't, until it is more definite.

I also want to write about being happy; what it might take, why we don't do it. It's quite a trick being not quite so happy yourself and yet raising two tikes who don't know anything else.

Anyway, every book in the library has been individually wrapped, and all of them boxed; for the first time, I want all of my books to survive a move and retain their condition. I wish I knew when they will see light and shelf space again.

Okay, enough of the love letter.

I'm reading Maugham's Of Human Bondage and it's occurred to me that I've never read anyone write of the relationships of young men at school, and their relationships with their peers, that's reminded me of my own experiences. It's weird since for me they've been mostly forgotten and far from conscious thought.

So we close in a month and we move as soon as it's over. What we move in to is still a question, as is its suitability. But if it gets me closer to writing full time, I'm insane for it although the days are creeeeeping along too slowly. Guess I'll make do with more packing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home