Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Leavin' On A Jet Plane

For some reason I get quite a spike in readers here when I post every day (or nearly so). I'm not exactly sure why that is; my supposition is that people may subscribe to an RSS service but then actually come to the site to read it when they get notice of an update.

Anyway, I'm off to Denver through the weekend and unless I manage something while I'm gone, there won't be anything new here until Monday. I've got to lay over at O'Hare and then transfer over to Denver. Ugly stuff. They've taken all the joy, all the sense of adventure, the romance of driving to one place and a few hours later appearing in another part of the country, and jackbooted it all away.

I thought this was done when I used to fly out each Monday and back home each Thursday for consulting jobs. I was wrong. Those were boring, but reliable. We're leaving at six this morning to get to the Boston airport at 8:30 in order to wrangle with checking my skis and skating through security machines in my socks without a bottle of water. Then the fun really starts, hours and hours in an airport terminal, waiting for the plane...

There's a reason the word "terminal" has a sinister meaning.

Anyway, I'm likely away until Monday. I've got two books to read for research for the new novel project and if that gets done I'll be happy. I was originally planning on reading volume 3 of Shelby Foote's Civil War Narrative, but I wasn't sure it wouldn't surpass the airplane's weight limits.

Have a good week and weekend! Ricky Nelson made this stuff seem so glamorous (at least in his song) but then we know what happened to him. Ugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home