Friday, April 30, 2010

Another one

Peter Abrahams won the Best Young Adult Edgar for his book Reality Check.  You can buy a version you can actually hold in your hand from Amazon for $8.99.  Or, and you know what's coming, you could buy a version that requires no paper, no printing, no binding, no boxing, no shipping, no storing, no other shipping, no possible returns to the publisher, nothing very book-like other than its appearance once properly viewed on your electronic reading device.  It's only a dollar more, at $9.99.


So on the one hand I've been worrying about Big Publishing pushing us all gently and subtly towards e-books because "it's the future" or whatever other BS.  The reality is that if people spend yet more money for something that costs publishers less to produce, then print books will disappear.  Will that happen?  I don't see how it can, but that doesn't mean they won't try.


If the world were a better place, they'd sell five million paperback copies and ten electronic ones to those folks who would buy it just because they're cutting edge hip and the rest of us are an anchor on their future.

I can live with that.  My kids think I'm cool anyway.  Not that they've actually said so or anything, but I know.  I know.




You can buy an Kindle version

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home