Tuesday, January 31, 2006

"Blog" is a Dirty Word

I came across a number of references to a site called CrimeSpot.net which acts as something of a portal for many writing and writing related blog sites. Kinda sorta at random I went to a site written by a gentleman whom I know nothing about but whose name I'd seen in various places.

The post on his particular blog said that the entry I was reading would be his last. The gist of it was he said that his blog, like most of the blogosphere (who comes up with these names?) is really a waste and that he'd rather spend his time writing something he'd get paid for (he's a television writer in his real life (that's not an oxymoron is it?)).

This depressed me and in a way, I felt rather diminished for spending time on this little blog here. When I started this, my specific goal was to learn how to write in this format well, and secondly, simply to write in a medium conducive to my child raising and health recuperating schedule. Because of the kids, I haven't even spent the time on this that I'd like; getting more than forty five seconds of uninterrupted time is a rarity and with that kind of shattered concentration, it's hard to do anything well.

I understand where carving out the time to write something worth writing for a mere blog can be difficult and of course if he no longer wants to do it he be all means should quit. But it doesn't sit right when he says that most of the blogs out there are a waste of time, although I'm sure he's right. So who am I to argue that his isn't one of them?

At the bottome of his post were a number of comments from his readers wishing him well in the future as they wished he weren't going. This means he had READERS.

We all write because we want to be read. We want to do it well, we want other people to enjoy it and agree we do it well, and we want to be recognized, at least on some level, for doing it at all. The fact that he had READERS, however many, meant that to them, at least, his words on that blog were something other than a waste.

The decision of whether or not he has the time to continue writing it is his alone to make, of course. It's entirely up to him. When I poke around his personal web site as well as some of his earlier blog postings, he comes across as a knowledgable, humorous, and capable writer (at least of those things). Because he has READERS, others must agree. In a significant and real way, the fact that someone reads something gives it a certain validity and I don't think it should be scoffed at no matter what the intention may be.

It's easy in some circles to disparage people who read chest bearing, pulse throbbing, Fabio covered romance novels, or comic books, and even Martha Stewart magazines and horoscope predictions but AT LEAST THEY'RE READING. And that's the important thing.

So I'm sorry that this gentleman has decided to quit blogging, and I'm really sorry that he considers the remaining bloggers mostly wasters of effort, but I'm still writing this one in the hopes that one day, I may have READERS, and they may find at least in some small measure, that they've been interested in something I've said. Even if it doesn't include a lusty lord, a stable, and a buxom chambermaid. But who knows, tomorrow is another day...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home