Sunday, April 03, 2011

Must Read List

Following the post I did on being picky about writers, I thought I would offer a few thoughts on my MUST READ BOOK LIST. This is a list that I would recommend to everyone without hesitation. This is a list of books that deserve to not only be read widely, but read repeatedly. This is a list of books that are so good that people who don't read should strap on the reading glasses and pick them up.

This is also a very short list.

In fact, it's miniscule. It's exclusive, it's rarified, it's probably lonely. But I'm afraid those are necessary traits for a list of this type.

It isn't a list of important books, or seminal books, or books that I just like a whole lot so I think you should, too. It is simply my universal list, suitable to any and all with an open mind.

After years of careful consideration, for the books really must nominate themselves, it is as follows, and in no particular order:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. It's funny, it's dramatic, it's immersive, and it's wonderful. If there is such a thing as the contemporary Great American Novel, this would be it.

Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. The story of one of the greatest friendships ever written, with an incredibly poignant Dr. Livingstone-esque poignancy (if I get more specific I'll spoil). If there is such a thing as the contemporary Great American Novel, this would be it.

Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny. Zelazny was at times a poetical writer and his passion for the world's mythologies inform some of his best work. In this case, with a non-linear narrative, he gives us all the passion and drama of humanity played across an otherwordly locale, where humans have achieved aspects of Hindu deities and act every bit the petty gods, with occasional nobility, that we expect in the ancient stories.

I think you can make the worst book sound sensational and the best book sound banal, and other than including these three on the list, I haven't tried to go either way. Out of the three, Lord of Light may seem to be the most risky, but it would be a mistake to treat it so. I've read it six times and may very well read it six more.

There are a number of books that come close, but are just flawed enough to earn slightly less than the Universal label. Wilkie Collins' The Woman in White comes to mind. The origin of one of the most compelling villains ever written, Count Fosco, bogs the ending down a bit and doesn't quite live up to the first two thirds of the book.

Anyway, the list of "almosts" would be long, the titles legion, and it would contain multitudes. I would like to expand this list, though, but it's been stuck at three for so long I wonder if it ever will. So I'm picky. Sue me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home